Saturday, March 29, 2008

Popping

I tried geo-morphing on the terrain, but it didn't seem to have any effect really, popping was still quite visible - so instead I changed the way I calculate the LOD to be non-linear. All this means that instead of changing LOD at 100, 200, 300, 400 etc., it changes in relation to how far away it is like 200, 400, 800, 1600. Popping isn't noticeable at all now.

The video is in 4 parts, with a little of the old in-out:

  • Linear LOD
  • Non-linear LOD
  • Linear LOD line rendering
  • Non-linear line rendering

The change is most visible in the last section, you can see that the LOD only changes when the vertices are about a pixel apart.  The downside is that it's fairly poly intensive if you're rendering a large patch of terrain - so I might have to make a few compromises when it comes to doing planets.

It's my first time uploading a video so hopefully the above shows my terrain stuff and not some whiney emo.

Update: video quality was awful so now I know how to do it, I’ve uploaded take 2.

No comments: