Thursday, March 20, 2008

Adding Detail Map - Looks Fuzzy

To counteract the blurriness of the terrain, I'll apply a detail map. A detail map is just a plain texture with some details like cracks and bumps. The detail map will be applied 32 times over the terrain, here's what the result looks like (before and after):

closenotfuzzy closefuzzy

It looks a bit more realistic, but it seems to be really noisy and fuzzy when I fly towards it (that is when I fly using the camera controls, not in real life - I didn't take any crystal meth or anything). Here's what it looks like from far away (before and after):

notfuzzy fuzzy3

It's easiest to see the fuzzy noise on the black pit to the right. It's hard to tell from the images but it's worst when you move toward the terrain; pixels on the detail map seem to move about and make it look something like there's interference on a TV channel. When I release my game I'll just include a superficial aerial with it - problem solved.

A lot of these sort of problems can be fixed with manipulating some of the parameters (like how many times the detail map is repeated over the terrain). There are already tons of parameters I've arbitrarily picked and I just run the project to see what it looks like, then change them again - which takes up a bit of time. I'm thinking of writing some sort of Reflection-based ParameterManager class so I can easily cycle through all available parameters at run-time and save/load sets. I'll put that on the back-burner though because my terrain performs horribly at the moment so I'll do some optimisation with Continuous Level Of Detail (CLOD) next time.

No comments: