Thursday, June 5, 2008

Welcome to Randomville

I had a quick bash at doing a procedural city with some very basic ideas I had - it's really simple but already looks city-like.  Check it out.

randomVille randomVilleRooftop

You can probably tell from looking at the images but all I'm doing is creating a grid of Mesh.Box(es) with random heights - biasing the height of boxes in the centre to be higher than the boxes on the outskirts.  This image might show it a little more clearly.

randomVilleGrid

In the next image I randomly eliminated some of the boxes (biasing the elimination more towards the edge than towards the centre).  I think it looks a little more realistic.

randomVilleUrbanRenewal

Flying around the city really gives a better city-feeling than looking at a bunch of boxes.  I tried to record a video but I couldn't get a smooth flyover using my touchpad and my *ahem* skills.  It doesn't look too bad but I won't post it as I'd be worried if someone saw my flying skills they'd think I was planning another 9/11. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi John, I'm developing a similar game idea and I thought we could possibly collaborate. Just thought I'd drop by and leave my email herb.gilliland-at-gmail.com

Cheers,
-h