Friday, May 30, 2008

I've found the Bible!!

No, not in that way, my head still vomits while spinning all the way around when I'm near a church.  I've gotten a book which has contributions from a lot of the researchers at the top of the procedural content generation field. It's called Texturing & Modeling: A Procedural Approach.  It's (expensive but) friggen awesome!  I was a bit worried it would be like a scientific journal -that is, just a collation of papers- but every concept is well explained and structured (and sometimes comes with a little bit of code).  I'm convinced Infinity uses this book as a basis for his engine.

I've had a rethink about how go about developing this game.  Instead of getting into great detail in one area then when I'm happy move on, I'm going to get something somewhat reasonable then move on.  Basically I want to quickly prototype the game and see what it's like, and afterwards spend time refining and polishing it.  Getting bogged down in details often led to the demise of a few of my previous projects.  I think I'd like to look at generating procedural cities next.

I've decided to use del.icio.us to bookmark and organise (with tags) all my areas of research as I come across them on the internets.  My personal set of bookmarks is at http://del.icio.us/jellyedwards, keep in mind I've only started to use del.icio.us and it also will contain tags for non-game-development areas of interest I have (like WPF, wiki-projects, TED, music).  Incidentally, I've started another blog (nothing in it yet) for a food-based wiki-project.  I've no idea if it'll work out or not, so I might post whatever other wiki/web 2.0 (hate that name) ideas I have there.

I'm really enjoying researching a bunch of random things but nothing's actually getting done so I've got to get back into it.

No comments: